Thai Fish Cakes



Skip to Recipe

Although I enjoy my share of refined cuisine and elaborate meals at restaurants, nothing piques my palate as much as street food. As a kid, the crowded street food stall near my house would manage to draw my attention every time I passed through it. It would become nearly impossible to control the urge to dig into the mouthwatering dishes.

Years have passed, and my love for street food persists. When I travel to a new country, I make sure that I explore the street foods as it gives me an insight into that culture.

This week let us take a virtual stroll through the bustling streets of Thailand and pick up some of the delectable Thai Fish Cakes. Thai Fish Cakes or Tod Mun Pla are a quintessential part of Thailand’s street food. With just a handful of ingredients, it is easy to recreate the same version at home.

What makes these unique is their light and fluffy texture. Each bite of the fish cakes is bursting with flavors of fresh fish, the fragrance of the red curry paste, and the crunchiness of the green beans. But what I love the most is the fresh cucumber and peanut sauce that gets served along with these.


Do you love Asian cuisine? You can also check out my Honey Sesame Chicken , Thai Pineapple Fried Rice and Thai Coconut Chicken Curry

Note: I have used codfish, but you can use any fish like Basa, Tilapia, Barramundi, Salmon, or Trout for this recipe.



Ingredients:
  • 500g white fish fillets, skinless and cut into chunks
  • 3 tbsp red curry paste
  • 1 tbsp cilantro/coriander leaves,chopped
  • 1 tbsp lime juice
  • 1 tbsp fish sauce (you can avoid if you don't like it)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup rice flour or cornstarch
  • 10 green beans,finely sliced
  • Oil for frying
  • 1/2 cup sweet chilli sauce
  • 1 cup chopped cucumber
  • 1/4 cup sliced onions
  • 3 tablespoons crushed peanuts
  • Lemon wedges(optional)

Instructions:
  1. Place the fish pieces, egg, red curry paste, cilantro, fish sauce and lime juice in a food processor and blitz until everything is well combined.
  2. Transfer to a bowl and add in the rice flour/cornstarch and sliced green beans and mix together.
  3. Shape the fish mixture into patties (having damp hands helps!)
  4. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
  5. Place the patties in the skillet and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side or until cooked through and are lightly browned.
  6. Mix the cucumber slices, onion slices and crushed peanuts into the sweet chilli sauce and serve with the fish cakes.

Comments

  1. This authentic Thai street food is making my mouth water.. Simply amazing 😄👍

    ReplyDelete
  2. 😍 it’s gluten-free and looks so tasty. I got to try this one! 🙏🏼 thank you 😊

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Most Popular Recipes

Chicken Pot Pie Hand Pies

Crispy Parmesan Potato Stacks

Blueberry Chia Seed Pudding

Carrot Cake Bliss Balls

Hearty Vegetable and Lentil Stew

Hash Brown Egg Cups